Water Saving Tips
The American Water Works Association recommends the following steps to help conserve water:
- Don't over water your lawn. Only water every three to five days in the summer.
- To prevent water loss from evaporation, don't water your lawn during the hottest part of the day or when it is windy.
- Only run the dishwasher and clothes washer when they are fully loaded.
- Defrost frozen food in the refrigerator or in the microwave instead of running water over it.
- When washing dishes by hand, use two basins - one for washing and one for rinsing rather than let the water run.
- Use a broom, rather than a hose, to clean sidewalks and driveways.
- If you have a swimming pool, get a cover. You'll cut the loss of water by evaporation by 90 percent.
Calculate your water savings with EPA's WaterSense web site